Louis Sullivan Building of Newark
Newark, OH
<< Back to Project List
 

The Home Building Association Bank was originally designed in 1914 by noted American Architect, Louis Sullivan as one of eight “jewel box” banks that Sullivan designed across the Midwest. Located on one of the most prominent sites in Newark, the national landmark building will become a visitor’s center for Licking County which will include spaces for community events, workshops, exhibits and presentations.

In the first phase of restoration, various missing elements, such as the original front door and lower first floor windows, have been recreated. The intricate glass tile mosaics and the beautiful terra cotta tile exterior, including the original corner entryway, were restored for the next hundred years of history.

In a future phase, the adjacent building will be integrated into the project to provide accessibility, via a new elevator, to all three floors of the Sullivan Building. The interior of the original banking hall will be renovated into an event space, including the careful restoration of the geometrically abstract murals and other key historic elements.