Gallipolis, OH
<< Back to Project List
The theater known as the Ariel Opera House was originally constructed in 1895 in the heart of the historic district of this community on the north bank of Ohio River. The building was expanded in 1930 to include additional first floor retail space and second and third floor meeting spaces for the local Masonic Lodge. At that time, the exterior facade was changed from the rich Italiante design to a stark two-dimensional depression era design. The project included a study of the existing conditions of the facility and the recommendations to renovate the building into a performing arts facility. The facility also includes the Ariel Theatre, home to the only professional orchestra in southeast Ohio, The Ohio Valley Symphony. The existing second and third floor spaces have become venues for performing arts classes and lessons, a children's theater, receptions, banquets, ceremonies, lectures and business meetings.

In 2006, Rogers Krajnak Architects, Inc. joined Ariel board members, dignitaries, patrons and members of the community to celebrate an official re-dedication of the facility. Overall, Rogers Krajnak Architects provided services for the design of the new marquee, new entry doors, new limestone cladding and glass-faced display cases at the entry and new windows.